Tuesday, March 1, 2011

T2T

Good Morning! It;s Tuesday and that means another Top 2 Tuesday with Taylor. Head on over and link up. You should have seen my husbands face when I told him the topic today. Let's just say I have reformed my ways with the almighty dollar.  Speaking of the dollar, I've gotta bust a move to work. Plus Sandra Lee is making a cocktail with tofu? Time to post and run.





Top 2 Things You've Learned About Money


{1} 
" Who do you think I work for, the power company"...
is what my grandad would say as he followed me and my cousins around their house turning off lights behind us. He would  only ever get coffee from McDonalds because he could get the senior citizen cup for 49 cents. They never ever put anything on a credit card. They saved. Do you know what they did spend all their money on? Family, grandkids, buying a beach house for us all to enjoy. etc. They were able to be so generous because they saved where they could, saved for what they wanted and knew what was important. As silly as I thought my grandaddy was for making a fuss over all the lights being on, I certainly forgot all about it when I was building sandcastles at the beach in the summer.





{2}
"20 dollars is actually 20 dollars and just because its 20 dollars doesn't mean I have to buy it"
This was a lesson I finally learned after many years of carefree spending. I had a monthly deposit in my account, a credit card or 2, the bills got paid, my townhouse was free and the living was easy. Let's just say there was a time when I took advantage of my parents generosity. It's not a time I'm proud of I'll admit.  In college eating out all the time, new outfits,  20, 50, 100 dollars at Target? Well, that adds up my friends.  But I never had to worry about it so I just kept spending.  Something that I would justify buying because it was JUST 20 bucks wouldn't register as something BEING 20 bucks if that makes sense? It took some time for me to " grow out" of this as I say. Paying attention to what I'm spending, being accountable for my bills, owning up to what I'm doing with my money. You wouldn't recognize me in Target these days. 



Have a great Wednesday everyone!

1 comment:

Lauren Caldwell said...

oh my! if the hubs read this he'd be saying "amens" allllllll over the house! haha!

the $20 lesson has been a HARD one for this girl to learn ... but i'm on my way! :)

happy tuesday!

Lauren @ tickled.