Sunday, January 2, 2011

Day 2: 11 in 2011


I am seriously LOVING this challenge! Head on over to Kit or MJ's fabulous blogs and link up!

Day 2- Favorite Holiday Memories

I am so blessed that I really have the BEST memories of Christmas growing up. My parents always did it big and made it very special for my sisters and I.  I have so many memories that  I love; getting our tree, listening to my parents wrap presents Christmas Eve; sitting on the top of the stairs Christmas morning, I could go on all day.  If I had to pick one memory.......cookies and beer. "Huh?", you're saying to yourself. A little back story if I may....

   My dad was a lobbyist and government affairs guru for a well-known beer company for 30 years before he started his own consulting firm. He headed up the government side and traveled all over working on distribution laws, import and export taxes etc etc. He works hard, sometimes wears cowboy boots with his suit,  and knows everybody that he runs into at the capitol when sessions in. That being said, he's a beer guy and as a matter-of-fact not a milk guy. So, when he and my mom had us girls they opted to give Santa a break from his usual milk and cookies. (I'm sure my mom had nothing to do with this decision actually haha). Ever since I was itty bitty we have always baked cookies for the big man and left them out on Christmas Eve with a nice cold bottle of  beer. It was always our "thing".  Since my dad hates milk I think he just preferred to sip on a beer while assembling our wagons and Barbie dream houses and what have ya. Regardless, we ALWAYS got a hand written note from Santa thanking us for the beer and telling us how much he enjoyed the break from milk. We have the BEST pics of us as kids with the cookies and beer. And you know what, when my oldest sister had my first niece, you better believe Claire posed with a brewskie in honor of her granddaddy.

Now, I realize this might not be a great message to send to kids in some people's opinions. I promise, we went to church and Catholic school. We were good kids and had great parents. We were never allowed to drink the beer. My dad assured me Santa was very responsible. They taught us about the dangers of drinking and driving etc. We all turned out well adjusted... for the most part :)


Mom's mid-laugh, we all think something is hilllllarious, dad thinks it's funny to not smile in pics (the other choices he was making hysterical and unusable gestures and faces)  and I was in between hair colors.  Plus, my poor brother in law Ben sometimes wonders what he got himself into. This is an actual Christmas card we sent out about 3 years ago...inside message reading "Oh what fun it is.." You can say that again. 


Now the hard part is selling this idea to hubs. I guess I've got a few years to work on my argument. Maybe milk and a little beer? For a fun pic to send to the grandparents?  But, I can guarantee when he's up late assembling toys for our kids he's not going to ask me to grab him a glass of milk from the fridge :)


I am loving reading everyones posts!! What a great idea Kit and MJ!



7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this!! Such a unique memory...

Thanks for linking up :)

Kristy said...

That's a great story! I'm glad you shared!!

Elise said...

That's too funny about the beer! Great story!

... said...

That's hilarious! Did you ever tell your friends at school that Santa needed a break from the milk? I love it!

TracyZLesh @ Then I Got To Thinking said...

I love this memory... that is so funny!! :) You seem like you have a wonderful family... what a blessing! Just found you through the 11 in 2011 link! So glad I did!

Kit said...

This such a great memory. This post really made me smile :)

star said...

Awesome memories! Your story is so fun! What a unique family tradition!!