Monday, January 3, 2011

Day 3: 11 in 2011



Day 3: Favorite Workout tips

I thought about this for a while and you know what it boiled down to? (for me at least) Do whatever you LOVE to keep you active. If you love to run, run. If you love to kickbox, kickbox. If you love to dance for 40 minutes while cooking dinner in your kitchen while jamming out to the Bob Seger station on Pandora sipping a Diet Coke, then so be it.  I'm pretty sure "Old Time Rock and Roll" burned about 500 of my daily calories last night. Well maybe 450 since I harnessed my southern roots and added a splash or two of bourbon.     

Somedays, I feel like running around Back Bay; other days a leisurely walk to the beach will cut it, but I try to stay moving. In my recent years I have become a serious "mover and shaker" if you will.  I attribute it to my years in the sorority house where spontaneous dancing was the norm and my time living in Manhattan with Kate, where our apartment was a 24/7 dance party. Not kidding, wish I was sometimes, I would have gotten more sleep.  In fact, Kate and I have a choreographed dance to the above Risky Business song which yes, I was re-enacting in my kitchen alone while cooking chicken... (I proudly rocked both our parts). Anytime I'm getting things done around the house I dance. I have had exactly 1.5 years of formal training. When I was 5, I was in a "you're all cute so it doesn't matter how you dance we won't kick you out" ballet class; then in 6th grade I decided to enroll in a 6 month after school dance program. Let's just say that the 5'8, 70 pound, large head and foot middle schooler that I was didn't find that it came naturally. I'm certainly not the worst one out on the dance floor but it's not always pretty. However, thats what makes it fun and exercise right?

Direct quote from my sweet husband's toast after we cut the cake: "...I'm going to wrap it up now because I know all my new wife wants to do is dance"  

Just think about how many calories were burned and how much working out was done in all these pics :) 








Our wedding was one big sweaty dance party. And we loved every second of it.


The gal behind the boogie in my shoes... 

This is a more realistic picture of us on a normal basis...


 Doesn't everyone love a good conga line? I know I do. 


So really, do something you love. You'll stay motivated and confident while rocking the step machine at the gym, lifting weights or even rollerblading.

PS. If any of you ever see me rollerblading, stop me immediately. I get confused where the brakes are. They aren't my strong suit. But, if KC and the Sunshine Band's "Boogie Shoes" comes on, you know where to find me.






4 comments:

Kit said...

I love this post! I like to have dance parties while I am cooking too :)

Michelle said...

You had me laughing at my desk during this post! I need to start having more dance parties, I've decided :)

Jenni said...

This is a great post! I think I'm going to have to have some dance parties soon!

Anonymous said...

I love it...I'm always loving an impromtu dance party :)