Thursday, January 20, 2011

A League of Their Own

FYI: I claim that this post is not totally irrelevant since I'm watching it on TV right now... I'm aware still totally random

Seriously, what is it with this movie?
 Inspirational. Based on a real time in our country. Funny. Motivational. Great theme song. Madonna. Tom Hanks. Uniforms that have skirts.  It's got it all baby. It's so funny how something so insignificant, like a random movie from your childhood, brings you back to a certain exact time.  I'm pretty sure my mom and dad got really sick and tired of renting it AGAIN and AGAIN from Blockbuster. I lived that movie for a while.  If you haven't seen it, first of all, what? and secondly, this wont make a whole lot of sense. 

I really remember wanting to BE Dottie Henson. I had a softball glove and I would practice imaginary catches in the backyard, complete with attempted splits. I rocked the skort and baseball hat and seriously was convinced I had it down. (No one informed me that the women's baseball league was no longer in existence.) I cried every single time  Betty Spaghetti got the letter from the war that her husband was killed. I laughed at Stillwell Angel and enthusiastically rooted for the Peaches to win the championship. I always thought Dottie's sister Kit needed to get a life and I felt bad for Marla Hooch.  I knew every word to the " anthem" they sang in the locker room. I can remember rewinding it on the VCR until I got all the words right. On a side note, I did have friends and other hobbies. 

In the mid 90's  Coors Brewing Company sponsored an all girls baseball team, The Silver Bullets. Clever right?  Read about them {here}. My dad took me  to see them play and my dream was re-ignited for 2.3 seconds. They only played 4 seasons and as they folded so did my hopes of becoming a Rockford Peach.

In the end, besides a year at t-ball and a stint as the 5th grade pitcher in elementary school, I never rocked a baseball mitt again. Maybe I missed my calling? 

Now if I may.....



No comments: