What a shopping Saturday !
It was one of those super-productive days that started off a little discouraging. J ended up having to work until about 1 today and then we were off. We started the day hitting up vintage stores, Goodwill, Salvation Army etc. I found a few things that might work for the dining room. They were all huge, heavy solid wood, which was great! The bad thing was they needed some SERIOUS refinishing and work plus we would have had to rent a truck to get either of them home, and I have an SUV. No luck with mirrors also. Insert sad face here.
To brighten the mood we picked up our grill from Home Depot fully assembled. It was a miracle it fit in the back of the car. Point us.
Hubs made the suggestion to just hit IKEA. He wanted a 99 cent ice cream cone and I was jonesin' for a fountain DC. You know the feeling. I was sure I wouldn't find anything since I had my mind set on something antique-y. Well, 2 DCs later I was throwing things in the cart left and right.
Yahooooo! as my sweet mother-in law says.
First of all, we found a much needed floor lamp to go on J's side of the couch. The man loves to read and my beloved mercury glass lamp is on my side. Yes we have very specific couch sides. We don't have overhead lights since its a wood beam,very high, sloped ceiling. We debated getting a ladder, drilling holes in the ceiling and stringing a chandelier buuuut quickly remembered that we don't own a ladder, are only renting and would rather not.
We found this beauty.
It's hard to tell from the pic but it's got the clean line simple vibe we wanted, white shade is a given and its easily adjustable for reading comfort. Perfection.
Next up is the ever present buffet debate. I really needed some extra dining room storage. Anything I bought was going to get stripped and painted white anyways so I took a look at the shelves etc in white. I have a problem people. As much I wanted a huge chest with shelves, drawers, the whole shebang, it just wasn't going to fit. Insert, perfect bookshelf turned on its side.
I had to flip the pic to show what it looks like when I use, hence the serious slant. There's room for cookbooks, larger platters and the awkward smaller shelves are perfect for wine bottles. Also, it's wide enough to have great serving room up top. It really is the perfect size and matches our coffee table. It's def more modern than I was looking for but our dining table is a white farm table that looks very rustic so it's actually a great contrast.
Next up. I snagged two of these cuties. I have a thing for pull cord lamps. They remind me of the ones you see in old libraries. They flank either end of the buffet. I'm going to do a craft project on the shades later but they will work for now. It looks yellowish below but its totally white. In case you thought I strayed away. Plus I have a beaded silver mirror that goes between them and works really well.
Lastly, they had a version of my beloved ghost chair.
Swoon. For $100 buckaroos I just wasn't feeling it tonight. I'm still kinda set on having one with arms.
The best part of this whole story is that a fully assembled grill, 4 long large boxes, 2 smaller ones, a toilet brush and a laundry hamper ( you gotta pick up the essentials) all fit in the back of the car. I was one happy gal!! Even better, as I sit here and drink some needed vino, hubs is assembling all our purchases. He's the best!
I'll try to get some pics up when it's all done.
Hope everyone is having a great weekend so far!






1 comment:
this sounds exactly like our saturday last weekend. thrift and antique shops, interior design shops, lowes, ikea and 99 cent ice cream cones! you found some great stuff!
Post a Comment