Day 4: Favorite Leftover Recipe
Bonjour! There are so many ways to go with this. You should know this about me: I have a thing for grilled cheeses, cheese toast, eating a baguette with a slice of cheddar, and I've even have been known to eat Parmesan straight off the rind in chunks. You could say I like cheese. And mayyyyybe a carb or two. So, whenever there is leftover baked or spiral ham and I have no idea what to do with it AND I don't feel like a regular sandwich, I head towards a Croque Monsier. Just a fancy name for a grilled cheese, with meat, heavy on the cheese. It is a serious favorite! (EmB this post is for you)
You can make them a few different ways. I was investigating the topic a few years ago after ordering one off a menu in NYC and I just knew I could count on my girl Ina for a good recipe. Plus, I keep 90 percent of these ingredients in the house at all times so it easily can be whipped together. Seriously, yum. It's warm, rich, comforting and just plan genius. If I wasn't in a food coma from all the chili I ate last night I would make one for breakfast.
You'll need: ( this recipe makes 8 sandwiches so plan accordingly)
2 tbl unsalted butter
3 tbl all- purpose flour
2 cups hot milk
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
a pinch of nutmeg ( whatever that means to you)
12 ounces of Gruyere cheese, grated ( about 5 cups); sometimes I use Swiss if thats what I have but Gruyere is the BEST
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan
16 slices white sandwich bread with crust removed ( or not, whatever mood your in)
Dijion mustard
8 oz sliced baked ham ( really whatever kind you have and how ever much it takes to make a sandwich)
Directions:
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees
"You've died and gone to heaven" sauce that goes on top:
Melt the butter over low heat in small saucepan and add the flour all at once, stirring with a wooden spoon for 2 minutes. Slowly pour the hot mil in the butter- flour mixture and cook, whisking constantly until sauce is thickened. Off the heat add the salt, pepper, nutmeg, 1/2 cup of Gruyere and the Parmesan and set aside.
Sandwich prep:
Toast the bread either in oven or the toaster will work just as well. Lightly brush one side of each sandwich with mustard, add a slice-ish of ham to each and divide 1/2 of the remaining Gruyere among the sammies. Top with another piece of toasted bread. Slather the tops with the cheese sauce, sprinkle the rest of the Gruyere on top and bake for 5 minutes. (I would put them on a baking sheet before you go sauce slathering). Finally, put them under the broiler for 3-5 minutes until the top is golden, brown and bubbly amazing-ness.
I can't wait to read everyones leftover recipes because to be honest I don't love leftover anything so I'm hoping you gals can teach me a thing or two :)
On a side note....you know what my favorite thing to do with leftover books is???
Make one of these to hang over my fireplace. I've still got some pages to put in and tweak but I am loving it!!
(I found the idea over at Living with Lindsay, she's one clever gal with so many great ideas!)
Hope everyone is having a great start to their week!



5 comments:
That sandwich looks AMAZING...and I haven't had lunch yet. Unless you count chocolate pie...
I want that sandwich!! It looks so yummy. And cheese, always!!
Those look delicious! I'm trying to figure out a way to make them gluten-free! Yum!
Visiting from the 11 in 2011 link up!
This looks yummy. I remember learning about them as a vocab term in French class in high school, but they look a lot better than they sounded at that time! :)
croque monsieurs are my favorite sandwiches!
Post a Comment